Sunday 16 September 2018

The Winner's Curse (Winners Trilogy #1) by Marie Rutkoski

The Winner's Curse (Winners Trilogy #1) - 5 Stars

Synopsis 

As a general’s daughter in a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers, seventeen-year-old Kestrel has two choices: she can join the military or get married. But Kestrel has other intentions.

One day, she is startled to find a kindred spirit in a young slave up for auction. Arin’s eyes seem to defy everything and everyone. Following her instinct, Kestrel buys him—with unexpected consequences. It’s not long before she has to hide her growing love for Arin.

But he, too, has a secret, and Kestrel quickly learns that the price she paid for a fellow human is much higher than she ever could have imagined.

Set in a richly imagined new world, The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski is a story of deadly games where everything is at stake, and the gamble is whether you will keep your head or lose your heart.


Review


The Winner’s Curse is a prime example of why you should never give up on a book. I have had the series on my TBR and shelves for many years. But I have never felt reading it when I’ve picked it up. But this month I was determined to add this to my TBR and finally read this. I am so glad that I did the book was amazing and everything I want from a YA fantasy novel.

I story follows a high-ranking general’s daughter by the name of Kestrel. She is struggling to decide if she is to become a soldier like her father or a wife to high ranking blue blood. Kestrel and her farther live in a land that once belonged to another group. One of these people is a man named Arin a blacksmith who is currently for sale in the local slave market. Our lead characters meet when Kestrel stubbles in into the market and gets caught up in Arin’s auction. She wins by placing a large bid and wins. This large win in known as a Winner’s Curse (or you just paid too much for your bid). When Arin and Kestrel return to the general’s home she does not realise to has got more than she bargained for.

I read this one sitting, not something I normally do, but I am happy that I did. I enjoyed the authors writing style and the many twists and turns in the story. I would highly recommend.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Undead Girl Gang by Lily Anderson

Undead Girl Gang - 4.25 Stars Synopsis Mila Flores and her best friend Riley have always been inseparable. There's not much exc...