Sunday 4 February 2018

The Cruel Prince (The Folk of Air #1) by Holly Black

The Cruel Prince (The Folk of Air #1) by Holly Black

Synopsis

Of course I want to be like them. They’re beautiful as blades forged in some divine fire. They will live forever.

And Cardan is even more beautiful than the rest. I hate him more than all the others. I hate him so much that sometimes when I look at him, I can hardly breathe.


Jude was seven years old when her parents were murdered and she and her two sisters were stolen away to live in the treacherous High Court of Faerie. Ten years later, Jude wants nothing more than to belong there, despite her mortality. But many of the fey despise humans. Especially Prince Cardan, the youngest and wickedest son of the High King.

To win a place at the Court, she must defy him–and face the consequences.

In doing so, she becomes embroiled in palace intrigues and deceptions, discovering her own capacity for bloodshed. But as civil war threatens to drown the Courts of Faerie in violence, Jude will need to risk her life in a dangerous alliance to save her sisters, and Faerie itself.


Review

I received with thanks an ARC copy of The Cruel Prince (The Folk of Air #1) from Hot Key Books UK & Netgalley.

This is my true and honest review of The Cruel Prince by Holly Black. This was released for publication on 2nd January 2018.
“I can see why humans succumb to the beautiful nightmare of the Court, why they willingly drown in it…”.
For this is what happened to me, I was sucked in and drowned in the beauty of this book. I will be the first to agree that I struggle normally with hyped books and read them when the hype goes down. I am so glad that I got an ARC of this amazing book, as I was enthralled all the way through.
Jude and her sisters are taken from their parents and the mortal world when they are young. They are thrust head first into a society that is beautiful but also dangerous. We follow Jude as she navigates the politics in the world that she must live in. I liked Jude as a main character she was not afraid to stand up for herself and be who she wanted to be. Her sisters are complicated and each unique in their own way. Her step father and step mother also had several layers. For me I loved the dynamics of Court of Shadows. The cruel prince Cardan himself is not always as he seems, cruel yes, but also very charming. There is a character in this book I despise more that Cardan but will not add this as it will spoil he fun of finding out who.
 I can see why this has been described as Game of Thrones meets Fairies. This world is cruel and full of twist and turns.
I cannot recommend this enough, this is a book is truly worthy of the hype. All I can say is I need book 2 now (please).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Undead Girl Gang by Lily Anderson

Undead Girl Gang - 4.25 Stars Synopsis Mila Flores and her best friend Riley have always been inseparable. There's not much exc...